Saturday, October 24, 2009



The Air Force Cadets in SPK were divided into 2 groups. The non-flying cadets will be commissioned with their army comrade on 24 jan 1981. Those who were selected for flying has to proceed for their flying training in Alor Setar. Very unfortunate, they would not be commissioned together with their intake. The previous intakes, all air force cadets would be commissioned together with their intake and then they will be going for their flying training. We are very unfortunate!. What we can do, this is a new policy from MINDEF.

Therefore, we (about 30 of us) were ordered to pack up our kits whilst the rest of our comrades commenced their commissioning parade training and rehearsal. Tearful moments. After hardly 9 months went through the hardship together, now is the time for us to leave them. We do not know, when we will meet again.

We looked at the memorable parade square (padang pawai) beside the beautiful beach of Kem Segenting. Start from learning how to 'sedia', 'senang diri', 'kanan lurus', 'pandang depan', 'kanan pusing', 'kiri pusing', 'belakang pusing' 'cepat jalan', 'angkat kaki paras, hentak padat' and all kinds of drill commands until we completed the foot drills, weapon drills and sword drills. That parade square witnessed us being punished both day and night. Forward rolls, slide rolls (sometimes with FSMO), changes parade etc.

We (flight cadets) get into the 3 tonner accompanied by SSjn Rahman (we called him Staf Rimau) to Seremban Railway Station. We travelled to Alor Setar by train. Staf Rahman was very nice to us that day, totally different compared to the passed 9 months. Upon arriving infront of the Officers' Mess of Pusat Latihan Terbang (FTC), Kepala Batas Alor Setar, numbers of officers were 'hungrily' waiting for us. Staf Rahman 'looked wistfully' handed over our group to one of the officers there. That day (i couldn't remember the date - roughly about 1st or 2nd week of January 1981) our 'horrible and miserable' life as flight cadet was inaugurated.

Two weeks after reporting to No 1 FTC, again we received a new order. Out of 30+ flight cadet, seven (including me) were selected to go for rotary wings training in No 2 FTC, Kluang Air Base. Again we were split into smaller group. But, 2 weeks in Alor Setar was a 'scaring nightmare'. The 'ragging' session which will last until the student were elevated to be a senior was horrifying. What sort of routine life?. Daytime we were required to attend ground school and afternoon games. After dinner we were required to report to the bar (Officers' Mess). By 8pm, we must be back to the room for study prep. At 10pm the seniors (Intake 36) will come to do the room inspection. What was happening? What 'discipline and tidiness' we learned for 9 months in SPK was not sufficient and couldn't fit the air force requirement.

The clothes must be folded square and staked straight up. The bed sheet must always well-stretched and square, blanket, pillow cover, the shoes etc must be properly placed. If the seniors dissatisfied (off course they will never get satisfied), you could see all sort of things flying over to the ground. End up, everybody (by nature of espirit de corps) will be called and ran down to the grass compound infront of our accomodation block. We were punished (one to another type of punishment) for our mistakes until 2am. Normally, toward the end, no clothes were left at our body. We were consider very lucky, if at the end of the session we still had our drawer (military term for underwear) left at ourbody. Most of the time, the last punishment was 'sea-hunt'. Do you know what is this? You carry the fire extinguisher (like the brand of scot emulsion bottle). But naked.

'King Cobra' Competition

What is 'King Cobra???? Haaaaah.... satu malam, kami semua dikumpulkan dalam bilik audio visual, dalam mes Pegawai. Masa tu, semua cuma berbalut kain cadar putih sahaja. Maknanya dalam kosong laaaaa. Ada satu acara khas yang WAJIB dilakukan oleh semua pelatih juruterbang di PULATIBANG 1.

Kami semua duduk atas kerusi, sebaris......

Lampu bilik dipadamkan. Senior buka video ' XXX Film'. Masa tu, mana ada internet, jadi tenguk video XX tu dah kira exclusive sangat la tuuuu. Tengah sedap layan syok dengan aksi Mat Salleh denganMinah Saleh tu....tiba2 senior buka lampu. Seorang senior menjerit.

" Bangun semua, tanggalkan kain!"


Masing2 segera mematuhi arahan.

Bayangkan bro!. Semua pedang tengah tegak terhunus!...SEMUAAAAAAA.....

Apa lagi,sang-sang senior yang telah siap dengan tape pengukur masing-masing segera mengukur semua pedang yang sedang terhunus tuuuhhhh....

'King Cobra' adalah juara yang mempunyai pedang yang terbesar dan terpanjang dalam intake itu.... uh uh uhhhhhhhhhhh.

Who is the 'King Cobra' in my batch? Ohhhhh, demi untuk melindungi maruah individu berkenaaan ia adalah RAHSIA.


My tour in No 1 FTC, RMAF Alor Setar was very short. It was about 3 weeks for Basic Ground School. However, my 3 weeks in AS was full with red dotted. I couldn't imagine if the present RMAF cadet officers were entertained like that.

One day, I and another 5 flight cadets were called by our Adjutant and he told us that we were selected to go for helicopter flying training at No 2 FTC in RMAF Kluang.

  • PK (U) Selvaraj a/l Muthu (ex-airman)- from Ipoh
  • PK (U) Saib bin Saiin - from Felda Gedangsa, Tg Malim
  • PK (U) Lokman bin Abd Rahman- from Muar
  • PK (U) Raveentheran a/l Raman Kutty- from Kluang
  • PK (U) Abd Rahman bin Mohamed- from Segamat
  • PK (U) Toharudin bin Abd Rashid- from Batu Pahat

So, we were asked to get prepared to travel to Kluang (by train). We had about 2 weeks leave before reporting to another 'tiger cage' at RMAF Kluang.

The life in RMAF Kluang was not as worst as in AS, but the torturing part was, our seniors were double to us. Further more, we were cadets but they are commissioned officers.

Those who I could remember were LtM Hassan Azahari (anak Datuk Azahari -film producer- dia ni kemudian kawin dengan anak Mat Salleh- he left as a Kapt), LtM Muhammad Abdul Latif bin Endut (later chopped but did well in business and got his Datukship), LtM Rosni Aziz (he was ex-Army- now Kolonel attached to APMM), LtM Idris Yusof (left Kapt- and died in road accident 2009), LtM Sugudev Dass (died in Kuching- suffered from ragging), LtM Jaafar Hassan (left as Kapt- he was together with Sugudev reported to Kuching in 1982), LtM Ridzuan Ahmad tajuddin (left as Kapt), LtM Ong Ong (chopped- converted to Muslim- Muhammad Muzammir Ong- now Lt Col), LtM Sulaiman Idris (chopped- joined Logistic- left as Kapt), LtM Mohd Noh Nordin (chopped- joined Engineering and retired as Lt Col), LtM Roslan (left as Kapt).

I also had super senior flying batch from intake TJP 35. Only 5 of them, they were Lt Prabhakaran Nair (intake 27- retired Lt Kol), Lt M Yusoff Shariff, Lt M Koh anak Ajap, Lt M James Tingom (died in air crashed), Lt Merejok anak Nueng (later converted to Muslim became Mohd Merejuk- left as Kapt and died in air crashed in Sarawak) and Lt M Roslan Bujang. Other than Prabhakaran and Yusof, the rest are Sarawakian.

After completed our Ground School, we were allocated with our personal flying instructor; I and Rahman got Kapt Syed Busri, Lokman (Kapt Nasrun), Kamaruzzaman (Kapt Adnan), Ravi (Kapt Ghaffar) and Selvaraj (Kapt Nordin).

We flew Bell 47G5-A helicopter. The life of future RMAF pilot began.

The practical flying started with doing the pre-flight check on aircraft. Students have to memorize the check list. Check the engine, fuel tank, all the piping, main and tail rotor blade and the cabling etc.

Next, will be reporting to the Control Tower. LATIH 123 (trainee callsign)... POB bla bla bla... request start up over. Control Tower will answer and give the location, weather, wind and etc. Hahaha, this was my weakest point. The AT Controller spoke English very fast. We have to repeat whatever transpired to us.. but.. managed to catch 40% only.

start-up Bell47G5A

Masuk tilawah wakil pegawai semasa di PLTB 2

First day flying session- one hour ride was just an introduction. Everything shown by the instructor. I just listen and observe. Woooooooooohhhh.... My dream to be a pilot was coming nearer.

posong in the crew-room

Second day also looked okay. The third day onward was not as what I expected. The situation has changed. Syed Busri started showing his colour. Every single mistake will be followed by shout (with the vulgar word) ... his favourite was "p**i", punch or hit. Every time I got down from my flight, some parts of my body were swollen and painful, especially my right chin (being punched). Sometimes my lips were also wounded. Why? I because he also like to slap at my microphone (of my bondome). So, my mic will hit my lips. Torturing.

I also experienced flew with Kapt Ghaffar, another character of instructor. He like to pinch/squeeze at your waist. If you did a mistake you will get his pinch at your waist. After flying, my right waist was swollen, reddish and painful.

Those things were demoralised me, made me lost my confidence and interest to fly. I couldn't focus my flying well because so scared and fear with my instructor.

After crossing the hours where I supposed to go for solo flying, I was given an extra hours to help me to improve my flying. They changed me to the softer instructor, Kapt Adnan, later my OC , Mej Musa Hassan himself handle my case. However, it was too late. I had lost my interest. Now, I knew that I was not born to be a pilot.

Survival Course at Tioman Island (1981)- after ground school

at Tioman Island with Alouette AQM, FSjn Yasser

Finally, they officially chopped me from the flying training. After being interviewed by the 'Board' I opted to change to Supply Branch. They attached me at Supply Wing under Mej Mohamed Hussein (OC Supply). And, sometime in Oct 1981, I was selected to attend a short Air Movement course at Kinrara. Upon completion my a month course, I was posted to RMAF Kuching.

Just to recall some memories. Among the officers in RMAF Kluang who I could still remember were; Lt Kol Hussein Supian (Commandant - retired as Brig Jen Datuk), Mej Abd Razak Abd Aziz (CI- retired Mej Jen Datuk), Mej Din Yati Dahalan (SEngO), Mej Abd Jalil (died in his Lt Kol- heart attack), Kapt Shahidan Abd Razak (EngO- retired Lt Kol), Kapt Hadi Khattab ((left service as Brig Jen Datuk), Kapt Yahya Abd Rahman (left Kapt - now Datuk- one of the Director in DCA), Kapt Tengku Adnan (left Lt Kol), Kapt Hashim Hamzah, Kapt Bakar Said (now Brig Jen Dato), Kapt Jamal (now Kol), Kapt Karim Abdul (now Brig Jen Dato), Kapt Hashim, Kapt Wee Ho Chong, the Base Adjutan was Kapt Ainuddin. The SEATCO was Mej Chin Yoon Sem, later replaced by Mej Quek S C. Other ATC officers were Lt Tarmizi Yom, Lt Mustapha, Lt M Khairul Kamal and Lt M Jegathesan.

Mej Musa Hassan (my OC Basic) was very nice person. His wife (Kak Dalila) also nice. His daughter 'Farah' was so chomel..... I first met Mej Musa in 1979 when I attended my Cadet interview at Majidee Camp. He was in TK 'C' at that time. I couldnt remember when he left the service, but in the rank of Major. He joined private flying firm. I met him (after his retirement)once in LIMA in early 2000. Sadly, I heard that he already divorced with Kak Dalila.

In 1994, RMAF Kluang was handed over to Army in conjunction with the establishment of Army Aviation Unit (PUTD).

the late Lt Gen Datuk Mohamed bin Taib, the Chief of Air Force (1977-1984)
He is the Chief when I was in TUDM Kluang, he came down once to launch and deliver the present for Flight Safety poster competition. I got 4th and 5th position.

Inilah Bell yang sama dengan yang aku terbangkan di TUDM KLuang dulu. Anakku Heikal mencuba merasai memegang cyclic stick control. di Muzium TUDM pada 20 Jun 2010.