"GEOGRAFI SENTIASA BERUBAH, SEJARAH SENTIASA BERTAMBAH"
I came from Arts Stream School. Besides learning Malay Literature (where you have to know how to analyse the novel and book of poems), History is one of the compulsory subjects. Studying history had it own complexity compared to Maths and Science subjects. I hate Chemistry, that's why I refused to go to Science Stream.
In history, you have to memorise many names, places and dates. Example; if you learn about the history Malacca, you have to remember all the Sultans and their contributions in their reign. Start from the opening of Malacca by Parameswara (later converted to Islam and changed his name to Sultan Iskandar Shah) then Sultan Ahmad, Sultan Muhammad, Sultan Ibrahim, Sultan Mudzaffar Shah, Sultan Mansor Shah, Sultan Alauddin Riayat Shah and Sultan Mahmud Shah....then Malacca seized by Portuguese, Dutch, British etc-etc..... go to Straits Settlement (Penang, Singapore and Malacca), followed by the interference of British into Malay States (Perak, Selangor, NS and Pahang), you also have to remember the names of British Residents such as JWW Birch, Hugh Low, Frank Sweetenham, Hugh Clifford and etc. Who is Datuk Maharaja Lela and Datuk Sagor. When and what is Pangkor Treaty all about? etc-etc. Huhhhh...
That is Malaysian history, how about China history, you got to remember the name of all the Chinese dynasties such as Ming, Han, Chu, Yuan, Shan etc and the name of the Emperors...the one I can remember well is Shi-Huang Ti (the man who lead the construction of Great Wall of China). In China, who is Lao-Tze?, Kung Fu-Tze?. In India, who is Siddharta Gautama Buddha, who is Asoka? who is Akbar? Shah Jehan? Jehangir? Aurangzeb? and who is Mahatma Ghandi? who is Pandit Jawaherlal Nehru? who is Ali Jinnah? Toink, toink, toinkkkkk......
Those were in Asia. How about European history, Industrial Revolution, French Revolution, Russian Revolution, and many many more....
So, do not ever ever think that, History is an easy subject. Please do not down grade Art Stream students as second class citizen. Look! who are the Secretary General and 'PTDs' in almost all Ministries, since our independent day? All Art Stream graduates!
Here, I am presenting some of my 'Knowledge Collections' for your reading. Reading only, You do not have to memorise.
RESIDENT GENERAL OF THE FEDERAL MALAY STATES (PERAK, SELANGOR, NEGERI SEMBILAN AND PAHANG)
Sir Frank Athelstane Sweetenham (1 Jul 1896 - 1901)
William Hood Treacher (1901 - 1904).
William Thomas Taylor (1904 - 1910).
Arthur Henderson Young (1910 - 1911)
BRITISH CHIEF SECRETARY FOR MALAY STATES
Edward Lewis Brockman (1911 - 1920)
Sir George Maxwell (1920 - 1926)
William Peel (1926 - 1930)
Charles Walter Hamilton Cochrane (1930 – 1932)
Andrew Caldecott (1932 – 1934)
Malcolm Bond Shelley (1934 – 1935)
Marcus Rex (1935 – 1936)
FEDERAL SECRETARY FOR THE MALAY STATES
Christopher Dominic Ahearne (1936 – 1939)
Hugh Fraser (1939 - 31 Dis 1942)
JAPANESE GOVERNOR FOR MALAYA
General Tomoyoki Yamashita (31 Dis 1942 – Okt 1944)
General Hisaichi Terauchi (Okt 1944 – 1945)
General Seishiro Itagaki (1945 – 12 Sep 1945)
BRITISH MILITARY ADMINISTRATION
- Lord Louis Francis Mountbatten (12 Sep 1945 - 31 March 1946)
Sir Gerard Edward James Gent (1 April 1946 – 31 Jan 1948)
BRITISH HIGH COMMISIONERS TO THE FEDERATION OF MALAYA
Sir Gerard Edward James Gent (1 Feb 1948 – 4 Jul 1948)
Sir Henry Lovell Goldworthy Gurney (1 Okt 1948 – 6 Okt 1951)
Sir Gerald Walter Robert Templer (15 Jan 1952 – 31 Mei 1954)
Sir Donald Charles MacGillivary (31 Mei 1954 – 31 Ogos 1957)
NAMA-NAMA GABENOR DAN YANG DIPERTUA (YDP) NEGERI
(MELAKA, PULAU PINANG, SABAH DAN SARAWAK)
Yang di-Pertua Negeri dilantik oleh Yang di-Pertuan Agong setelah berunding dengan Ketua Menteri kerana negeri-negeri ini tidak mempunyai Sultan. Yang di-Pertua Negeri dilantik selama sepenggal atau empat (4) tahun dan boleh dipanjangkan mengikut kesesuaian. Beliau tidak dibenarkan memiliki perniagaan atau keuntungan dan tidak dibenarkan juga bergiat aktif didalam mana-mana aktiviti komersial.
Yang di-Pertua Negeri merupakan komponen Dewan Undangan Negeri (DUN) dan mempunyai kuasa untuk mengadakan perhimpunan atau pembubaran Dewan Undangan Negeri. Persetujuan beliau adalah diperlukan bagi meluluskan Dewan Undangan Negeri.
Yang di-Pertua Negeri juga merupakan Ahli Majlis Raja-Raja yang dipengerusikan oleh Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
Kuasa mentadbir negeri dipikul oleh Yang di-Pertua Negeri tetapi fungsi-fungsi pentadbiran boleh diserahkan kepada pihak lain dari segi undang-undang. Gabenor akan melantik ahli Exco bagi menasihati beliau dalam menjalankan peranannya.
GABENOR/YDP NEGERI MELAKA
Tun Leong Yew Koh (31 Ogos 1957 - 30 Ogos 1959).
Tun Dato' Abdul Malek bin Yusof (31 Ogos 1959 -30 Ogos 1967)
Tun Dato' Abdul Aziz bin Abdul Majid (31 Ogos 1971 - 10 Mei 1975)
Tun Syed Zahirudin bin Syed Hassan (18 Mei 1975 - 3 Dis 1984)
Tun Datuk Seri Utama Syed Ahmad bin Syed Mahmud Sahabuddin (4 Dis 1984 - 31 Mei 2004)
Tun Datuk Seri Utama Haji Mohammad Khalil bin Yaacob (1 Apr 2004 -kini)
GABENOR/YDP NEGERI PULAU PINANG
Raja Sir Tun Uda Alhaj bin Raja Muhammad KBE SMN (31 Aug1957 - 31 Aug 1967). He was born in 1894 in Kuala Langat, Selangor. He was the Menteri Besar of Selangor between 1949-1953. He died on 17 Oct 1976.
Tun Syed Sheh bin Syed Abdullah Shahabuddin SMN SSM (01 Sep 1967 - 05 Feb 1969). He was born in Alor Setar on 10 March 1910. He was a diplomat and served as the Ambassador and high Commissioner to Thailand, Ireland, United Kingdom and Japan prior to his retirement. He died on ........
Tun Syed Sheh Alhaj bin Syed Hassan Barakhbah SMN SSM DUPN (06 Feb 1969 – 05 Feb 1975). He was born on 10 Nov 1906 in Alor Setar. Prior to his serving as Penang Governor, he was the 2nd Lord President of Malaysia (1966 - 1968) and President of Dewan Negara (1969). He died on 8 Oct 1975.
Tun Sardon bin Haji Jubir SMN PMN SPMJ SSIJ (5 Feb 1975 – 30 Apr 1981). He was born on 19 March 1917 in Rengit, Johor. He was pa lawyer by profession and one of the founder of Independent of Tanah Melayu and since then he became a full-time politician until his retirement in 1974. In his tenure as a politician, he held several ministers' appointment such as Minister of Works, Minister of Post and Communication and Minister of Health. He was also the Malaysian Permanent Representative to UNO between 1974-1975. He died on 14 Dec 1985.
Tun Dr Hj Awang bin Hassan SMN SPMJ DUPN (01 May 1981 - 30 Apr 1989). He was born in Muar, Johor in Dec 1910 and a medical doctor by profession. Prior to his appointmet as YDP Negeri, he was the Deputy Speaker of Dewan Rakyat and High Commissioner to Australia. He died on 23 Oct 1998.
Tun Datuk Seri Utama Dr Hj Mohd Hamdan bin Siekh Muhammad Tahir (01 May 1989 - 01 May 2001). He was born at Kuala Kangsar on 26 April 1921. His father 'Siekh Muhammad Tahir Jalaluddin al Falaki' was one of the famous ulama' in islamic astrology (falak syarie). Prior to his appointment as Penang Head of State, he held various prominent appointments, among them were the Director General of Education (1966 - 1976) and 2nd Vice-Chancellor of USM (1976 - 1982) and Permanent Educational Rep to UNESCO, Paris (1982 - 1985). He died on 20 January 2005.
Tun Datuk Seri Utama Hj Abd Rahman bin Abas (02 May 2001 – today)
GABENOR/YDP NEGERI SABAH
Tun Datu Mustapha bin Datu Harun (16 Sep 1963 - 16 Sep 1965). Mustapha, a BajauUbian-Kagayan origin was born in Kudat in 1919. He resigned and active in politic, formed United Sabah National Organization (USNO) and won the State Election and later became a 3rd Chief Minister of Sabah (1967 - 1975). His party ruled the State until lost to Parti Berjaya in 1976 election. He died on 2 January 1996.
Tun Pengiran Hj Ahmad Raffae bin Pengiran Hj Omar (17 Sep 1965 - 16 Sep 1973)
Tun Mohammad Fuad Stephen bin Abdullah (17 Sep 1973 - x- 1975) - formerly known as Donald Aloysius Marmaduke Stephens (till he converted to Muslin on 5 Jan 1971) was born on 14 Sept 1920. He was the first Chief Minister of Sabah after the formation of Malaysia from 1963-1964. In 1964, he was appointed as Minister of Sabah Affairs and later appointed as High Commissioner to Australia. He resigned from his appointment as Head of State in 1975 to form Parti Berjaya Sabah. He won the State General Election in and became the 5th Chief Minister of Sabah. He died in air crashed at Sembulan on 6 June 1976 during his tenure as 5th Chief Minister of Sabah.
Tun Datuk Hj Mohammad Hamdan Kari (Aug 1975 - Oct 1977)
Tun Datuk Hj Ahmad bin Koroh (12 Oct 1977 - 25 June 1978)
Tun Hj Mohd Adnan @ Mickey Roberts bin Abdullah (27 June 1978 - 31 Dec 1986)
Tun Datuk Hj Mohd Said bin Keruak (01 Jan 1987 - 31 Dec 1994). He was born in 1926 and elected as the 4th Chief Minister of Sabah (succeeded Tun Mustapha) until his party (USNO) defeated by Berjaya in 1976. He died in 1995. One of his son, Datuk Seri Mohd Salleh was the 9th Chief Minister of Sabah (1994 - 1996)
Tun Datuk Seri Panglima Hj Sakaran bin Dandai (01 Jan 1994 - 31 Dec 2002). He was born in Semporna on 15 April 1930 and become then became the 8th Chief Minister of Sabah from 17 Mac - 26 Dec 1994. One of his son, Nasir is currently Sabah Cabinet Member since 2008.
Tun Datuk Seri Panglima Hj Ahmadshah bin Abdullah (01 Jan 2002 - today). He was born on 9 January 1946 at Inanam.
YDP NEGERI SARAWAK
Tun Abang Openg bin Abang Sapie (1963 – 1969)
Tun Tuanku Hj Bujang bin Hj Othman (1969 – 1977)
Tun Datuk Patinggi Hj Abdul Rahman bin Yaakub (1977 – 1981)
Tun Datuk Patinggi Abang Mohammad Salahuddin bin Abang Barieng (1981 – 1985)
Tun Datuk Patinggi Dr Mohd Zaidi Adruce bin Mohammad Noor (1985 – 2001)
Pehin Tun Abang Mohammad Salahuddin bin Abang Barieng (2001 – today)- his second time.
KETUA HAKIM NEGARA (THE LORD PRESIDENT)
- Tun Sir James Beveridge Thomson (1963 – 31 Mei 1966)
- Tun Syed Sheh bin Syed Hassan Barakhbah (1 Jun 1966 – 10 Okt 1968)
- Tun Azmi bin Mohammad (1968 – 1974)
- Tun (Dr) Mohd Supian bin Hashim (1978 – 11 Nov 1982)
- Tun (Dr) Raja Azlan Shah ibni al marhum Sultan Yusuf Izzuddin Shah (12 Nov 1982 – 1984)
- Tun (Dr) Mohammad Salleh bin Abas (1984 – 1988)
- Tun (Dr) Abd Hamid bin Omar (10 Nov 1988 – 1994)
- Tun (Dr) Mohd Eusof bin Chin (1994 – 2000)
- Tun (Dr) Mohd Dzaiddin bin Abdullah (20 Dis 2000 – 2003)
- Tun (Dr) Ahmad Fairuz bin Shiekh Abdul Halim (2003 – 2007)
- Tun Abdul Hamid bin Mohamad (2 Nov 2007 – 18 Okt 2008)
- Tun Dato‘ Zaki bin Tun Azmi (18 Okt 2008 - kini)
YDP DEWAN NEGARA
- YB Dato Hj Abdul Rahman bin Mohamed Yassin (11 Sep 59 – 31 Dis 69)
- YB Tuan Syed Sheh bin Syed Hassan Barakhbah (Tun) (27 Jan 69- 5 Feb 69)
- YB Dato Hj Mohamad Noah bin Omar (Tan Sri) (24 Feb 69- 28 Jul 70)
- YB Tan Sri Hj Abdul Hamid Khan bin Hj Sakhawat Ali Khan (20/2/71- 22/2/73)
- YB Tan Sri Hj Omar Yoke Lin Ong (Tun) (23/2/73 – 31/12/80)
- YB Tan Sri Ismail Khan (5/1/81- 13/4/85)
- YB Tan Sri Benedict Stephens (15/4/85- 11/4/88)
- YB Tan Sri Abang Ahmad Urai bin Abang Mohideen (11/7/88 -9/7/90)
- YB Tan Sri Chan Chong Tak (17/12/90- 31/3/92)
- YB Tan Sri Vadiveloo a/l Govindasamy (13/4/92- 12/6/95)
- YB Dato Hj Adam bin Abdul Kadir (Tan Sri) (13/6/95- 30/11/96)
- YB Tan Sri Hj Mohamed bin Yaacob (10/12/96 -5/12/00)
- YB Tan Sri Michael Chen Wing Sum (7/12/00- 11/4/03)
- YB Tan Sri Dr Hamid bin Pawan Teh (7/7/03- 7-7-09)
- YB Datuk Wong Foon Meng (7-7-09 – 12-04-2010)
- YB Tan Sri Datuk Abu Zahar bin Datuk Nika Ujang (12-04-10 - kini)
YDP DEWAN RAKYAT
- YB Dato Hj Mohamad Noah bin Omar (Tan Sri) (1/9/59- 29/2/64)
- YB Dato Syed Esa bin Syed Alwee (18/5/64- 24/11/64)
- YB Tan Sri Chik Mohammad Yusof bin Sheikh Abd Rahman (25/11/64- 3/11/74)
- YB Tan Sri Hj Nik Ahmad Kamil bin Hj Nik Mahmood (4/11/74- 20/12/77)
- YB Tan Sri (Dr) Syed Nasir bin Syed Ismail (Tun) (9/1/78- 16/3/82)
- YB Tun (Dr) Mohamad Zahir bin Ismail (14/6/82- 14/10/04)
- YB Tan Sri Dato Hj Ramli bin Ngah Talib (22/11/04- 10/04/2008)
- YB Tan Sri Datuk Pandikar Amin bin Haji Mulia (10/04/08 – kini
BRITISH CHIEF SECRETARY FOR THE FEDERATION OF MALAY STATES
- Edward Lewis Brockman (1911 - 1920)
- Sir George Maxwell (1920 – 1926)
- William Peel (1926 – 1930)
- Charles Walter Hamilton Cochrane (1930 – 1932
- Andrew Caldecott (1932 – 1934)
- Malcolm Bond Shelley (1934 – 1935)
- Marcus Rex (1935 – 1936)
FEDERAL SECRETARY FOR THE FEDERATION OF MALAY STATES
- Christopher Dominic Ahearne (1936 – 1939)
- Hugh Fraser (1939 - 31 Dis 1942)
KETUA SETIAUSAHA NEGARA
- Tan Sri Dr Abdul Aziz bin Abdul Majid (Tun) (1-8-1957 – 31-8-1964)
- Tan Sri Abdul Jamil bin Abdul Rais (
- Tunku Tan Sri Mohamed bin Tunku Besar Burhanuddin (7-11-1967 – 31-12-1969)
- Tan Sri Abd Kadir bin Shamsudin (1-1-1970 – 30-9-1976)
- Tan Sri Abdullah bin Mohd Salleh (Tun) (1-10-1976 – 31-12-1978)
- Tan Sri Abdullah bin Ayub (1 Jan 1979 – 30 Nov 1980)
- Tan Sri Hashim bin Aman (1 Dis 1980 - 14 Jun 1984)
- Tan Sri Salehuddin bin Mohamad (15 Jun 1984 - 31 Jan 1990)
- Tan Sri Ahmad Sarji bin Abd Hamid (Tun) (1 Feb 1990 - 16 Sep 1996)
- Tan Sri Abdul Halim bin Ali (17 Sep 1996 – 01 Feb 001)
- Tan Sri Shamsudin bin Osman (2 Feb 2001 – 30 Ogos 2006)
- Tan Sri Mohd Sidek bin Hassan (31 Ogos 2006 – kini)
- A.J. Gracie (1.7.1954 - 7.9.1957)
- H.G.Turner (8.9.1957 - 1.7.1959)
- Tan Sri Ahmad bin Haji Husin (5.10.1959 - 1.3.1963)
- Tunku Tan Sri Mohamed b. Tunku Besar Burhanuddin (2.3.1963 - 6.11.1967)
- Tan Sri Abdul Kadir bin Shamsuddin (7.11.1967 - 31.10.1969)
- Tan Sri Syed Zahiruddin bin Syed Hassan (1.11.1969 - 29.6.1972)(Tun)
- Tan Sri Abdullah bin Ayub (1.7.1972 - 31.7.1974)
- Tan Sri Abdullah bin Mohd. Salleh (1.8.1974 - 30.9.1976) (Tun)
- Tan Sri Abdul Aziz bin Zakaria (1.10.1976 - 17.6.1978)
- Tan Sri Hashim bin Aman (18.6. 1978- 30.11.1980)
- Tan Sri Osman bin Shamsudin Cassim (1.12.1980 - 31.7.1985)
- Tan Sri Rozhan bin Kuntom (1.8.1985 - 26.1.1987)
- Tan Sri Alwi bin Jantan (26.1.1987 - 15.4.1990)
- Tan Sri Mahmud bin Taib (16.4.1990 – 14.12.1995)
- Tan Sri Dr. Mazlan bin Ahmad (14.12.1995 - 14.12.1998)
- Tan Sri Samsudin bin Osman (15.12.1998 - 31.1.2001)
- Tan Sri Jamaludin bin Damanhuri (1.2.2001 – 16.6.2005)
- Tan Sri Ismail bin Adam (16.6.2005 - Ogos 2010)
- Dato Sri Abu Bakar bin Abdullah ( Ogos 2010 - kini)
GABENOR BANK NEGARA MALAYSIA
- Tan Sri W H Wilcock (1/1959 – 7/1962)
- Tun (Dr) Ismail bin Mohammad Ali (7/1962 – 7/1980)
- Tan Sri Abdul Aziz bin Taha (7/1980 – 6/1985)
- Tan Sri Dato Jaffar bin Hussein (6/1985 – 5/1994)
- Tan Sri Dato Ahmad bin Md Don (5/1994 – 8/1998)
- Tan Sri Dato Ali Abul Hassan bin Sulaiman (9/1998 – 4/2000)
- Tan Sri Dato Dr Ungku Zeti Akhtar binti Ungku Abdul Aziz (3/2000 – kini)
DATUK BANDAR KUALA LUMPUR
- Tan Sri Lokman bin Yusof (1972-1972)*
- Tan Sri Yaacob bin Abdul Latif (1972-1981)*
- Tan Sri Elyas bin Omar (1981-1992)
- Tan Sri Dr Mazlan bin Ahmad (1992-1995)
- Tan Sri Kamaruzzaman bin Mohd Shariff (1995-2001)
- Datuk Seri Mohamad Shaid bin Mohd Taufek (2001-2004)
- Datuk Roslin bin Hassan (2004 - 2006)
- Datuk Abdul Hakim bin Borhan (2006 – 13 Dis 08)
- Dato‘ Mohd Fuad bin Ismail (14 Dis 09- kini)
- Thomas Vernon Alexander Bordi (1955 - 1959)
- Tan Sri Dato' Cecil M. Sheridan (1959 - 1963)
- Tan Sri Abdul Kadir bin Yusof (1963 - 1977)
- Dato Hamzah bin Abu Samah (Tan Sri) (1977 - 1980)
- Tan Sri Abu Talib bin Othman (1980 - 1983)
- Tan Sri Mokhtar bin Abdullah (1993 - 2000)
- Datuk Seri Ainom bin Mohd Saaid (2000 - 2001)
- Tan Sri Abdul Ghani bin Patail (2000 - kini)